PDM owns and operates an outstanding food grade packaging plant in the heart of the Midwest. So outstanding, in fact, that PDM has passed all BRC audits while receiving an “A” rated BRC Food Certification.
What is the BRC Standard?
The British Retail Consortium (BRC) developed and introduced the BRC Food Technical Standard to be used to evaluate manufacturers and retailers own brand food products. Because retailers and brand owners have a legal responsibility for their brands, the Standard was designed to assist retailers and brand owners produce food products of consistent quality and assist with their ‘due diligence’ defense.
Since it’s creation, the Standard has become a benchmark for best practice in the food industry, which is why we are so proud to display PDM’s “A” rating on our website.
The Standard is divided into 7 chapters:
- Senior Management Commitment and Continual Improvement – For any food safety system to be effective it is essential that the factory senior management are fully committed to its application and continued development.
- The Food Safety Plan (HACCP) – The basis for the Food Safety System is an effective HACCP program based on the requirements of the internationally recognized Codex Alimentarius system
- Food Safety and Quality Management System – This sets out requirements for the management of food safety and quality, building upon the principles of ISO 9000. This includes requirements for product specifications, supplier approval, traceability, and the management of incidents and product recalls.
- Site Standards – These define expectations for the processing environment including the layout and maintenance of the buildings and equipment, cleaning, pest control and waste management. This includes a specific section on managing foreign body controls.
- Product Control – This includes requirements at the product design and development stage, Allergen management and the expectations of Laboratories and product testing.
- Process Control – This covers the establishment and maintenance of safe process controls, weight/volume control and equipment calibration.
- Personnel – This defines requirements for the training of staff and expectations on protective clothing and personnel hygiene.
Partner with an “A” Rated BRC Food Certified Company
When you partner with an “A” Rated BRC Food Certified Company there is less to worry about. To learn more about PDM’s Good Manufacturing Practices or to speak with a representative please contact us today!